The Roseland Peninsula was a critically important embarkation site for the D-Day landings. The evidence of these sites still exist at Turnaware Point and Smugglers Cottage in the Polgerran Woods. To visit Turnaware, take the King Harry Ferry road from St Just in Roseland and turn left at the sign to Roundhouse Barns. Follow the road which becomes private with a right of way to Comerrans and you will finally come to the National Trust site at Turnaware. Park the car in the little car park and walk down the old access road to the embarkation hard. The site at Smugglers Cottage is signposted off the King Harry Ferry Road only about 400 yards from the ferry landing point.
A granite memorial stone stands dedicated to the men of the 29th Infantry Division,V Corps, US Army, who embarked at Turnaware Point and who landed at the hell hole that was Omaha Beach. It is hard to imagine the numbers of men and machines that were present in such a peaceful place and also how many failed to return. At Smugglers Cottage, various hut bases, platforms, water tanks etc. remain extant. The owner has provided interpretation panels for visitors. The Cottage itself was requisitioned as the Hardmaster and Embarkation Staff Office. General Eisenhower visited the Cottage in 1944, while carrying out inspections of troops in the area. A memorial tree planted to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of D-Day stands a short distance from the hard.
No Properties Available